Echoes from the Past

8:46 AM

(http://morguefile.com/search/morguefile/2/bible/pop)


Psalm 53 echoes Psalm 14 almost word for word.  Anytime there is a repeating message, resounding theme I take note and pay even closer attention.  A fool says in his heart there is no God.  I have read this verse and heard it shared a thousand times.  Never thinking of how this applies to my own heart, I paused, I prayed, I leaned in, search my heart and see if there is any wicked way in me. 

While I don’t think I have ever actually said these words, I know my actions and words have contradicted one another.  In the past week I have found myself praying a simple prayer that even a man who had perhaps seen miracles first hand and heard about Jesus with his own ears, and stood before him prayed.  Mark 9:24 “I believe but help my unbelief.”  Standing before Jesus with a need for a miracle he openly admitted, "I need help with my unbelief. "

I am discovering I am not as strong in my faith as I thought I was, don’t get me wrong I believe, but I NEED help with my unbelief.  Sometimes my words, and actions don’t always line up with what I “believe”. 

In Psalm 53 the psalmist reminds us of just how wicked our hearts are, and draws me into another familiar verse,

Then if my people who are called by my name will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, I will hear from heaven and will forgive their sins and restore their land.” (2 Chronicles 7:14)

If I allow myself to really look deep and let the Holy Spirit search the inmost parts of my being, I find I am not as righteous as I sometimes think I am. 

Humility draws us into repentance.

Repentance is something I need to do on a daily basis not just when I blow it.

Maybe you are facing an impossible situation and you need an increase in faith.  Perhaps you are like the father in Mark 9, “I believe, but help my unbelief.” 

Perhaps you are in a desperate place and need a touch from the Lord in your own heart, family, home, and need to humble yourself, acknowledge your own wickedness and pray for Christ to come and heal your broken places. 

Wherever you are today, lets join together and hold fast to this faith and promise we possess in Christ Jesus. 

Psalm 14:2
The LORD looks down from heaven on all mankind to see if there are any who understand, any who seek God. (Psalm 53:2)

He looks for us, longs to see if we will seek HIM.

Psalm 53:5
Though we may be overwhelmed with dread, HE is present.

Psalm 53:6
Although our plans may have been complicated, held conflict, and left us utterly frustrated, the Lord is our refuge.


What stood out to you in this passage today?

Have you experienced a need for an increase in your faith?

Do you have a need we can agree in prayer with you over today?


You Might Also Like

0 comments

Triggers Book

31 Days of Writing 2015

31 Days of Writing 2015
A Journey of a Wandering Heart

31 Days of Writing 2014

Five Minute Fridays