Are you Tired? Worn out? Burned out on religion?

12:15 PM

Are you tired?

Worn Out?

Burned out on religion?


Photo Credit: http://morguefile.com


These are all questions Jesus as us.  He deeply cares about the condition of your heart and emotions.  He doesn’t just ask us surface questions nor does he listen with distracted ears.  He intently listens with every fiber of His being and offers us answers.

I love nothing more than grabbing a giant size coffee and venting my heart out to a safe friend.  She listens with a bent ear of grace and understanding.  She comes alongside and even partakes in the biggest dessert known to man.  Never once does she judge me or make me feel out of place with my spewing of ugly emotions.  (Even though my emotions are very much out of control.)  She sits with empathy and tenderness in her eyes.  She doesn’t say a word. 

Drunk on anger, dehydrated by bitterness, and fatigue by deprivation of rest I continue on with wreck less words.  My words knock reason, logic, and by the book ideals out of the park.  Fueled with disappointment. Stress, and yes even jealousy I am DONE.  Stick a fork in me DONE. 

I am worn out.  Tired. Weary. Exhausted.  Search Webster’s big fat book of words; find every adjective to describe being over being done and that was me. 

As much as I appreciated her time, empathy, company, warm coffee, and dessert I still left the dame as when I came.  I dare even say worse.  I was emptier than when I arrived.  I had truly emptied my heart.  I was void of all feeling.  Numb to the core. 

Jesus, he longs to do the same except he offers solutions.  Answers.  A way to recover my life. 

“Are you tired?  Worn out?  Burned out on religion? Come to me.  Get away with me and you’ll recover your life.  I’ll show you how to take a real rest.  Walk with me and work with me – watch how I do it.  Learn the unforced rhythms of grace.  I wont lay anything heavy or ill fitting on you.  Keep company with me and you’ll learn to live freely and lightly.”(MSG Matthew 11:28-30)

Not the recover we are accustomed to as with covering over with makeup, self-care, self-help books, date nights, parties, relationships.  Not the kind of recover we use to ide things with.  No he doesn’t just cover over us he re covers all of us. 

He recovers our entire life.  From the inside out.  Just like a professional reupholster would recover a forgotten piece of art. 

Right now I have a piece in my bedroom that is desperate need of being recovered.  This chair needs to be stripped to the bones and everything replaced.  


After this process this chair will be one of my most prized treasure of furniture.  She will become a piece to hand down throughout the family.  


Right now she is an eyesore.  She carries a foul stench she is displeasing to almost all five senses.  However once I have her recovered she will be restored to her original purpose and will be pleasing to all who come in my house. 



She sits in a corner covered over in blankets, hidden. Waiting for someone to take the time to recover her and bring back her purpose and once vibrant purpose. 

We aren’t much different from this chair.  We get used, worn, and stained.  We serve a purpose but we also need to recover our life.  We need ONE to come and recover our life.  We need ONE to uncover, remove all the blankets used to keep us hidden, and strip us to the bones. We need Christ to come and not just cover us but recover our life.

You Might Also Like

1 comments

  1. Great analogy - with the chair. I have felt like that and am so glad the Lord never gives up on us but always sees our full potential.

    ReplyDelete

Triggers Book

31 Days of Writing 2015

31 Days of Writing 2015
A Journey of a Wandering Heart

31 Days of Writing 2014

Five Minute Fridays